There’s a Monster Living Inside that Man…..

Yesterday’s weight lifting seminar with Jon North, the bar slamming weight killing national champion was pretty cool.   Jon North writes about a “monster living in that man, just like in me, just like in you” and watching him throw (not lift – that was weight lifting lesson #1 from yesterday) 335 lbs over his head and stand up with it was intense, powerful, violent, and absolutely exquisite.

I wondered what was going on in his mind for the full minute he’d take squatting in front of the bar before throwing it over head.   He described not really being aware of what he was doing anymore after so many years of practice.  He described hearing the wind in his ears as he moved that quickly under the bar.   He thought he could sometimes see the bar as he passed under it.   As he was looking down signing a certificate he commented on a lift by the way it SOUNDED – the rhythm of the bar hitting the hips and the feet hitting the ground.   Absolute mastery and beauty/strength in motion.

He described weight lifting as 90% talent (skill, practice, genetics) and 10% luck and described different techniques to increase your odds – hold your wrists like this, 90% of cleans are missed like this, and a plethora of the sport’s minutiae.  He talked about weight lifting never making sense and how amazing and powerful it is.

There is really nothing you must be.
And there is nothing you must do.
There is really nothing you must have.
And there is nothing you must know.
There is really nothing you must become.

However, it helps to understand that fire burns,
and when it rains, the earth gets wet.

I definitely learned things about weight lifting that I didn’t know before.  The most powerful moment was seeing the glimpse of the intensity and focus (maybe a sighting of the monster inside) of the man about 10 feet away throwing 335 pounds overhead, while at the same time thinking what a cool and nice guy.

The cue I hear from Coach every time I lift is about getting more aggressive.  I’m not sure where I’d even tap into that right now, although I think the monster is in there somewhere. I’m still working on not flinching and ducking at loud noises and yelling even when I know I’m in an environment where nothing bad is about to happen me.  It engages my fight or flight instinct every time. One learns what they have lived.

Yesterday was a new box, new people, lots of yelling, lots of loud noises, lots of testosterone flowing and it was all good.  One learns what they live and life’s most recent lessons may be starting to take root some where.  I’m thinking the new monster is an old dragon slayer.

Leave a Reply